Monday, July 6, 2009

A Little About Counselor Victoria

                        Camp Vic                                                 Real Life

I've been with my current family just shy of a year now, although, I have been nannying in some capacity, and for various different families, since I graduated college (6 years ago! yikes!). The kids and I live (NOT together!) in different towns on the South Shore of Massachusetts. Our days together are spent running around from activity to activity, me attempting to keep them organized and orderly, and them choosing the best form of torture to utterly embarrass me in public! It's great! 

My current kiddos tend to think that I have no other life outside of them. Often times I am forced to remind them that this just isn't true. Case in point: M likes to constantly remind me of the things I didn't help her with. When I explain to her that I didn't help her due to the fact that I was not there (and was out living my "real" life) she finds my answer totally unacceptable, and then looks at me like I'm crazy. Occasionally my "real" life and my nanny life will collide for some reason, and when this happens watch out, because there are always three kiddos left confused in the aftermath. Their standard questions are (all the while asked while staring at me as though I've just stepped out of an episode of the Body Snatchers, and their real Counselor Vic is never to return): "Did you get a haircut?" (Answer: No, I just actually blow-dried my hair today... and left it down!), "Why are you wearing eye stuff?" (Answer: You mean why did I put on a tiny bit of eye shadow... and mascara?), "Why are you all dressed up?" (Answer: They're called khakis. And I didn't think that sweatpants would be appropriate for (insert whatever event is being attended later in the day).). S then always tends to pipe in, in an attempt to lessen the blows, with a "Well you look very pretty!". Thanks S! I typically then spend the rest of the day feeling out of place, and fielding questions left and right as to where the real Counselor Vic has gone! 

Aren't kids wonderful?!?

0 Reactions:

Post a Comment